Where I’m From

I am from the sound of grain pouring on the ground to the sound of pecking followed, then I hear eggs being dropped in the basket the sizzle of the cheese on the potato with bacon is the perfect combination for a chilly night at a grandparent’s house 

A warm spring day all you can smell is BBQ sauce and it is my brother’s birthday along with other relatives too ribs and mille-feuille is what is for lunch Mother’s Day is here, the taste of straw is where I am from trying to climb to the top of all, the best is at the top always equals me 

I am from the smell of chlorine after the sound of moo, filling up the bottles with fresh milk, the smell of the oven sweet or savory at Aunt Val’s house the sound of the bells on the door ringing somebody is there the sound of two dogs barking that is the sound of Saturday morning 

The leaves are falling the combine’s out rye is being cut I got to drive the combine for at least a row or two, the combine’s new 2021 version with our farm name on its John Deer green is the color I am from the trail, losing my dog the ‘’she was just her’’ to ‘’now she’s not’’ then she is back, the muddy shoes that to this day are still there

The time my brother lost his boot in a puddle of mud it was too deep, so you just must run through it quickly my cousin Chloe and I did it but my brother on the other hand did not make it and his boot tells you all about it, the ‘’I’m going to Chloe’s’’ then the ‘’it’s too cold’’ so then ‘’just stay home’’ the sound of Peter saying ‘’come on Kinsey there is a cow in labor the bloody hands a fresh calf born everybody happy but your feet if they were sandals